Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sensational Surabaya…sort of


Well, it’s been another week (and two days – I know, I know).  Even though we only have 3 days with kids this week, it’s a crazy busy week.  Much of my time outside of school has been spent going to the gym.  Last week during our Spring Break, while all of my colleagues were off gallivanting around and I was left here to work on my university class, I started attending the gym here.  It was a really nice way to ease into things.  I attended Body Pump and Body Combat classes.  This week, I’ve been to Pump and Combat, will meet with my trainer on Wednesday, go to Combat again on Thursday and finish the week with Pump on Friday.  I know, it’s Good Friday and if I can find a service, that is in English, I shall attend.

The weather here is starting to change.  I know I have said for many weeks that the rainy season is coming to an end.  Now I think it might actually be ending…soonish.  However, in the meantime it’s bizarre just how humid it is until the sky opens up and it rains.  I will get used to the humidity (maybe).  Right now, I am adapting pretty well.  It was duty day again today (which means my blog is only one day late as duty day is Tuesday).  I spend 20 minutes outside supervising the kidlets and hardly broke a sweat. It was apparently 37 degrees today with the humidity.  Hmmm, 37 and hardly broke a sweat – that is scary!

School is going well.  We’re prepping for our summative assessment for our unit on non-profit organizations.  Today the children were creating a “distribution plan” for how they would get their “lemons” to the countries in need.  You see, for the purpose of their assessment, these “lemons” have the ability to purify water.  I was giddy with enthusiasm when they took out their math books to check out the maps (yes, we have atlases too, but they know about the maps in their math books) to see if they could ship something to a country by sea or whether they needed to send it by air or land.  Too funny.  Sadly, I don’t think any of their distribution plans would ever amount to a successful endeavor (some have recognized that in countries such as Africa, there isn’t a lot of water, so to plant the lemon trees, in addition to shipping the seeds, they will send water to make sure the trees can grow)  but they are seeing that they need to plan a little farther ahead than saying “Here, have some lemons!”

One of the things I love about being here is the time I’m in my classroom. Yes, there are many imperfections at the school (as there are at every school) but I seem to be enjoying the “teaching” part of the job.  I find that while I am with my kids, I feel very little stress.  I am enjoying the challenge of a new grade level and am learning more and more in regards to PYP practice.  I might even get to attend some training in the fall.  Wouldn’t that be terrifically exciting?  Professional Development.  Whoot Whoot.

Well, as my Tuesday comes to an end, so does my blog.  Right now, the smells of supper are wafting through my apartment.  Rose is making Salmon and baked potatoes and roasted veggies.  Yes, my house lady is making supper for me.  I am positively spoiled, it’s true.  Last week, when the other teacher that I share Rose with was away for Spring Break, Rose made suppers and lunches.  Try as I might, she was not willing to take the week off.  She would, however, let me “help out” in the kitchen from time to time – just so long as I didn’t do things like wash dishes or peel potatoes. 

More pictures are coming.  I still have one paper to write before Easter Sunday.   I shall get there – even if it kills me (and it won’t – it’s a short, little theory paper that I’ve already completed a lot of the research for)

Until next time.

Tylene

No comments: