Saturday, August 14, 2010

An exciting week, and new adventures!

Salutations,

I left home almost a week ago and while I realize that it's not been a week since my last blog, I thought that I would write about my day today.  It was a great day and I wanted to share.

On Thursday, I was talking to Bettie, a teacher in the middle school who lived in Damascus for a number of years and has since returned.  I had asked her if she would be willing to go on a walk about the neighbourhood with me.  I do have  a map, but sometimes it's easier to have someone to go with you!  At any rate, we set out this morning around 9:30 and I arrived home about 1:30.  Needless to see I found many interesting little places here in Damascus.

First along the way was the table and chair store...furniture that is perfect for my garden area/veranda.  While I do have a table and chairs out there right now, I'd like to brighten up the spot a little bit.  That is something I will do when I get a little more settled.  Across the street from the table and chair store is a loverly bakery (keep in mind there are about 3 bakeries that are within a 3 minute walk from my house).  This bakery had a wide variety of loaves, buns and sweets.  I am glad to know there are so many bakeries because up 'til now, the only bread that I've had is from the supermarket...and it is horrid!

After the bakery, we continued our walk to Shalon (sounds like salon but with a sh sound).  It is a shopping area with many independent markets...there are vegetable markets there, spice and nuts markets and the Swiss Army Knife grocery store.  I'm not sure of it's real name, but everyone at DCS knows it as the Swiss Army Knife grocery store because its window display is...you guessed it...swiss army knives.  They also sell swiss kitchen knives there, so should I get tired of my IKEA knives, I'll know where to go.

I picked up a few odds and ends while at the grocery store, but opted to leave the vegetable shopping for the market closer to my school.  We walked from the grocery store to Bettie's, dropped off her shopping, had a few glasses of water (did I mention it's hot out!!!) and then carried on to the local butcher shop.  There I bought some ground beef (need to specify next time that I would like lean beef), chicken breasts and steak.  It is so great to have a butcher so close to home.  They also have lamb, but until I know how to cook it, I'm not gonna buy it.

Once we left the butchers, we were bound for the vegetable market.  One of the things that I have really noticed about the vegetable markets here is that the vegetables smell fresh.  It's delightful.  It's like walking into the farmer's markets back home.  I am hoping that they will taste just as fresh!  From the vegetable market we walked to the German store...a great little grocery store that delivers, sells pork products (I bought bacon) and sells alcohol (I didn't buy any).  They also have a wide variety of groceries.

Prior to today, I have been shopping at this mega-market called Cham Centre (CH pronounced SH). After today, I don't know if I will go back there - these little markets have been such a joy.  It might mean three stops to get my groceries, but the experience has been just delightful.

The walkabout not only provided an opportunity for me to see the sights, but I was also able to learn a little more about living in Damascus.  Prior to leaving this year, I was talking about having a little garden to grow fresh herbs.  Because I live in the basement, my apartment is known as a "Garden Apartment"  I have a little area that already has plants and trees and such planted.  I learned today that I will also have the ideal place to grow herbs such as basil, rosemary and many others that I can't remember. The school's yard is loverly.  Many of the flower boxes around the school have rosemary planted around the edges and flowers in the middle.  Pictures will come, I promise!

All in all, the first week has been good.  Cockroaches have left the building (Thanks to Mohammed coming to spray and my incredible display of bravery as I swept up all the dead little buggers (body count is at 7 - I had only seen 1).  I have been showed how to work my oven, so now I can cook up a storm (spaghetti and meat sauce on the agenda for tonight) AND I should have hot water within a few hours.  Whoo hoo, could life get any better, you ask?  Indeed!  Henry and Ella are set to arrive on Wednesday AND my new housekeeper starts this week.  I am a spoiled brat, I know, but I am really looking forward to both my kitties and my housekeeper.  You would be proud to know that I have cleaned my own apartment, taken out  my own trash, and am in the process of doing my own laundry.  I have ruined my only pair of brown capris with bleach, but other than that, I am no worse for wear.

Looking forward to the upcoming week of orientation.  Will update you as things happen.  I will also do my best to get some pictures up and running.

Until next time...

Tylene

No comments: