I knew it was too good to be true. Since I arrived, we've had relatively clear skies...at least, no dust storms. But that is no longer. Last night we had a dust storm. It's strange how the dust comes in...a clear sky becomes "clouded" but not with clouds. It gets hazy and turns a shade of brownish red. Very bizarre.
I didn't see the dust storm yesterday, but I did wake up this morning to find our marble foyer to our apartment building covered in a familiar reddish dust. It really is sort of a neat thing...imagine that fine dusting of snow that you wake up to after the first snow fall. Now, imagine instead of clean, crisp snow that is it a fine sand. That's the residue following a dust storm.
Furthermore, my classroom window has been open as per the directive of the ministry...apparently a well ventilated classroom will prevent H1N1. At any rate, there was little sign of the dust when I got to school. Everything was sparkly and clean. All that was left is the smell of a dust storm.
Speaking of dust storms...thanksgiving is almost here! Okay, I know, not a good segue at all, but I figured dust to turkeys...what sort of transition can one make for such a switch. At any rate, I am excited about the Thanksgiving Dinner that Stephanie and I will host this weekend. As it turns out there will be about 30 of us. Craziness. For some reason, I can deal with 20 very well, I can deal with 100 very well, but 30 seems so...well, 30! Meh, it will be a fun time regardless, I am sure.
This past weekend was one of those weekends that went by way to fast. After a very long and tiring week, I was hoping for a weekend that dragged on and on. Sadly it was over before I knew it. But not before I had a manicure and pedicure. That's a great way to spend a Saturday night. Whoo hoo. My toes are a loverly sort of metallic colour and my fingernails are a colour called "sand of a beach". I like that it's punny and easily confused with another like phrase. Although my life is already pretty pampered (I mean, I don't remember the last time I ironed my own clothes or washed the floor), I will go and get a pedi and mani on a regular basis. Sometimes you just need an escape.
Speaking of escape (much better transition) I have really been enjoying the time I am spending at the Corniche. Sadly, it isn't all fun. I am working out about 4 hours a week. That's hard-core working out. I feel really good about it, and enjoy the trainers and other people who I am getting to meet! A nice place to go and chill...once it's not quite so hot out.
And speaking of being hot out (look at me, I'm on a roll) today I had lunch duty. It was surprisingly comfortable. I didn't even break out into a sweat. Hee hee hee. I am too accustomed to this type of weather. I think the temperature today is around 37...imagine 37 degrees and not a bead of perspiration. Ha!
hmmm, what else to say. Life is still really good. I am happy. Dealing with more insurance crappola. Our "new" insurance policy is supposed to be a step above our last one. Sadly, the reality is that it's just as bad. Today I went to get some blood work done to see how I am adjusting to my meds (and lack of thyroid) to discover that my insurance won't pay for 82KD (about $340). Now, if it were only once, I could handle that, but the reality is that follow up after surgery is going to go on for months...that's a lot of money to dish out considering I am supposed to have comprehensive health insurance. WHATEVER. NEVER, EVER dis our heath care system in Canada. (oooh, look at me being all hip and cool "dis" ha ha)
I guess that brings me to the end of yet another edition. This week will be a good one. Next week is only a three day teaching week as we have a PD conference on the Wednesday and Thursday. Hee hee. I know, I've only been back at work for a week (two and a half by the time PD Days come) but I am looking forward to having a couple of "brain days". Is it too much to hope for some sort of meaningful P.D.? Keeping my fingers crossed.
Stay tuned to the New Adventures of Old Tylene for more on the second year in Kuwait.
Much love
Ty
No comments:
Post a Comment