Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 31, 2008: Grover and Tylene take on Grade Five...The first day of School

I can't believe it. The first day of school has come and gone. It was a fantabulous day, although I don't think there is really anything I could do to grasp what the day would be. It was just one of those "had to live it to believe it" kind of days.

Ramadan has yet to officially start...that will be tomorrow, however, to simplify life, we're on the Ramadan schedule which means that classes are 40 minutes instead of 60, our school day runs from 8:45 - 1:45 and as of tomorrow, most students in my room will be fasting from sunrise to sunset.

I arrived at school around 7:30. I had planned to head in earlier, but there was lunch to make...thus an hour and 15 minutes was all that I could allow myself.

HOWEVER, upon my arrival at school, the playground was swarming (in a good way) with parents and children. It was craziness. I mean, the first day of school...who comes to school 75 minutes early. I met a few parents, met a few students and then, busied myself with the necessary "last minute tasks: first day of school picture; first day of school picture with Grover; figuring out how this whole day would unfold.

At 8:30, I headed outside where I met and mingled with more parents and students. What a welcoming group...seriously. I had parents from other classes come and introduce themselves to me, ask where I was from and then apologize for the horrible weather that I am experiencing. I found it rather relieving that even Kuwaitis don't enjoy temperatures in the high 40s (today we were expecting a high of 48). One father from Grade 4 assured me that in three weeks, four tops, the temperatures would be much more pleasant...inshallah!

Once the children headed into the school (8:50...it's hot when it's 40 some degrees and you're outside...that shower fresh feeling doesn't really last!) we began in our classroom. Today we had homeroom all morning so we took time to set up our binders (which, in Grade Five, like Grade Eight is an arduous task....WHOOO GOOD WORD!) After about 45 minutes, all 20 little darlings had binders, dividers and loose-leaf.

Next we took a look at the story The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, in which we discussed the importance of giving to others selflessly. It was so awesome...the students are so eager to share, and had wonderful responses in our dialogue. Finally, we finished off the morning working on an activity in which they chose an Attitude...like a virtue, but specific to PYP...that they were confident in bringing to our class. On the inside of the apple, the students needed to write exactly how they would share this attitude, as well as qualities to describe someone they admire, a memorable moment and their favourite place.

It was a well received activity which tied in beautifully to the Attitudes that we're supposed to integrate into each unit we teach. Once i have the bulletin board up, I will take some pictures of our Giving Tree.

Before lunch, we had DEAR (drop everything and read) in which I started reading Jerry Spinelli's Loser...it's a great novel and was a great conversation piece.

After lunch was Math, then P.E. then Math then home...I have discovered that it will take longer to teach a lesson than anticipated...and even longer to get through a short assignment. However, I was surprised by the number of students who were eager to take homework home...I didn't have them do so, of course...and besides, homework isn't homework...it's homefun! Tee hee hee

And that's the first day...I do have picture on my flashdrive...now I just need to figure out how to post them...fear not, loving family, I have a colleague who will show me the way!

Peace and Love to all of you...

G & T

1 comment:

Gus said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day! You're going to love teaching Gr. 5. I've always thought that gr. 4 and 5 are the best ones! I'm not exactly missing the fact that I can't share my "first day of school" story! My firsts are a little different (first night in crib, first time he rolled over, first time sitting in his "bumbo" chair)! I'm really enjoying it! Hope the weather lets up a bit for you - I can't imagine those temperatures! Insane! What a cool cultural experience too....I know nothing of Ramadan and most aspects of muslim culture! I'm enjoying reading about it!
Love the blog! It's on my rss feeds...so I stay posted! Have a great rest of the week!